Thursday, July 10, 2008

Down there...

Life was far simpler. I had less things, I needed less things. I definitely spent less money - not only because things were cheaper but because I didn't need to buy as much. I rode public transport everywhere. I enjoyed life in a more simple way. I was able to travel and explore the country, but did so in a modest way. I could have lived differently, more luxuriously, and still I was living in a farrr better situation than almost the whole Ecuadorian population.

Think about it - unlike the rest of the world, we have a CHOICE to live more simply. I personally thirst for shunning the "stuff" and "things" in my life and accepting a more simple existence... but in the blink of an eye I could choose to have all this stuff back. But the majority of our human brethren don't make this CHOICE, they live in a certain way because it's their only life path.

I'm working hard to not lose the realizations I made in Ecuador about what is necessary in life. It's too easy to get sucked back into the mainstream expectations of how life "should" be lived here.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I know how you feel Brit. Consumption and ruling over is a core practice in the states. It fills the gaps all too easily and us gives a feeling of certainty and comfort. There is no doubt of the beauty in the breakdown of material. Luxury needs to be redefined here and we take for granted as a culture how readily and availiable things are too.
I miss commuting public transport style. I miss how juxtaposed rural and urban were in Ecuador. We always had that connection to nature. Kept life focused and consistent with a sense of satisfaction no "stuff" could supply. But I won't blab anymore.
Stay true to your convictions and making that conscious effort. It will spread like a wildfire in the states. We must be the examples.
Have you seen: storyofstuff.com
Chau Chau

- Kurr

Sebastian T Brown said...

totally brit. por eso, ya paré poner una camisa. quiero mi libertad. pero en serio, la vida moderna en que vivimos se mueve demasiado rápida, sin duda. no tenemos tiempo para detnernos, y aprovechar de todo que se ofrece por el mundo. cómo sigue todo?

Binx said...

brit! if i'd known you had a blog, i would have been reading it all along. no matter, i just caught up, although it looks like you're not updating lately.

anyways, hint o cinnamon chocolate chippers sounds like my next cookie endeavor. AND, if you want to make those pecan sandies, you don't need the soy yogurt-- you can replace it with butter, oil or applesauce (i usually use applesauce to substitue oil but i had none). you also can use 2 c. all purpose flour instead of the semolina and ww combo.

sorry for the novel! hope all is well!